There are a lot of different elements that go into planning and designing the perfect bathroom, and not just in terms of functionality but also in terms of luxury and exquisiteness. While you want your bathroom to be functional, it’s also a room you’re going to be spending time in, so it also needs to be comfortable and pleasing to the eye too, especially if it’s an ensuite bathroom. That’s where lighting comes in – it can make all the difference between your bathroom feeling like a spa-like retreat, or just another room in the house.
Lighting is often overlooked when it comes to the bathroom. However, it can have a huge effect on the mood of your space. The right lighting can make you feel relaxed and pampered, while poor lighting can leave you feeling claustrophobic and uneasy.
In addition to the often overlooked bathroom mirror, there many lighting components that can be used to create beautiful and spa-like affects in the bathroom, including pendants, side-mounted scones, and bathroom dimmers. Each of these elements adds something unique to the space, so let’s look at how they can each help you achieve your desired ambiance in your bathroom.
How to plan for bathroom lighting?
Planning for bathroom lighting can be tricky. You need to balance function with style and keep in mind that bathrooms are often small, so you might not have a lot of options when it comes to finding the right light fixture.
We recommend using pendants as an alternative because they provide good illumination and are usually low profile which means they won’t get in the way when you’re trying to do your business. Set a style by choosing one of the following: traditional, modern, or rustic. Balance symmetry by placing two fixtures symmetrically on either side of the mirror or vanity.
Choose a style of lighting
Choosing a style for your bathroom lighting is the first step in creating a spa-like feel. There are many different styles of lighting to choose from including: pendant, recessed, and pendant. I recommend using one or two types of lighting; don’t mix too many styles or it will look like you’re trying too hard. It’s also important to keep in mind that lights should be at eye level; if they’re too low or too high it can be off putting for guests.
Keep fixtures symmetrical
Sizing the light fixtures is one way to leverage symmetry. To do this, you will want to measure the distance between the two farthest points in the room and divide that by two. This will give you a rough estimate of how far apart from each other to place your light fixtures. You can also use a mirror on one wall for more symmetry.
Best types of lighting for bathroom
Trying to decide what type of lighting to use in a bathroom? While there are many ways to achieve different moods and styles, layers of lighting is one way you can create the spa-like effect. To do this, you will need some practical knowledge about the various types of lights available as well as some quick tips for using them.
- Pendants work well in most bathrooms since they don’t take up much space and are easy to install. They also come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors so there’s something for everyone. You can also use multiple pendants together for extra light or for when only one fixture just won’t cut it.
- Task lighting is an important aspect of any bathroom. It’s the most prominent type of lighting in your bathroom. These lights offer focused illumination that helps you accomplishing a task like shaving or trimming. You can use lights along your vanity depending on the size. Vanity lights like sconces are mostly used. In a typical arrangement, we recommend using two scones at right above the eye level to the sides of the mirror.
- The power and flexibility of recessed lights allows for focused illumination where needed. In addition to providing soft, ambient light in your bathroom, the fixtures also provide ample task lighting for grooming areas and work areas. These units are designed to be installed into your ceiling and typically come with adjustable settings so you can create just the right ambiance in your space.
- Flush mount lighting casts light downward but most homeowners don’t prefer these lights. Instead of using a single-flush mount light overhead, we recommend you to use drum flush mount or an exposed lighting to have a calm ambience.
- If you want to highlight a specific corner or cave in your bathroom or want to add some special feel into the space, accent lighting is a good choice. It helps create a mood and you can easily experiment these lights with different layers.
Lighting can make or break a bathroom. So, always try to plan your lighting layout and make most out of the available options. Instead of using recessed lights, try hanging pendants to create a more modern look. But try to choose one style and stick with it. Typically people will choose either contemporary or traditional style when designing their space, but if you want an eclectic look then mix them up! Also if you have symmetry in your bathroom, use it!
So, are you ready to upgrade your outdated bathroom? We would be delighted to assist! In Metro Atlanta, GA and the surrounding area, we have a team of skilled installers ready to assist you. Affordable Bathrooms has been assisting homeowners for over twenty years, and we have completed thousands of projects, including numerous types of bathroom remodels. Please contact us as soon as possible if you require assistance.